Tuesday 19 February 2013

Trove and Internet Archive

I know that not everybody likes doing research, but I do, so I was thinking that I would post some of my favourite websites to use for research (both academic and personal). I will start with Trove and Internet Archive and I may post more later.


TROVE

Trove, or the National Library of Australia, is a great resource for newspapers, books, letters, diary entries etc. It is especially helpful if you are studying, but if not you can still have a great deal of fun with it. 

Finding information is as simple as a Google search; simply type in the keywords and press 'Search'. You can also do Advanced Searches should you so desire.

Trove also has digitised versions of various Newspapers and Magazines! For example, the Australian Women's Weekly is up there with editions dating from 1933-1982. As you can see in my 'About Me' section in the sidebar, the 1930's, 40's and 50's greatly interest me, so naturally I have a rather enjoyable time searching the old pages of the magazine and reading what the women of these great generations enjoyed reading. 

I seriously love Trove and it is excellent for history research amongst other things so make sure that you take a look at it. :) 


Just a side note - http://trove.nla.gov.au/aww  is well worth a look as well. It's a page of the website devoted to the Australian Women's Weekly which I just discovered and am so excited about!


INTERNET ARCHIVE

http://archive.org/

'Internet Archive' is a very helpful site for research but I mainly use it for personal enjoyment and recreational searches. As with Trove, searching is uncomplicated, but unlike Trove, the range of items you can search is far greater.


I can't even begin to list all the searchable categories or fields. You really must see for yourself. It explores video, audio, text, libraries, even old website archives. Truly an inspiring website, Internet Archive aims to build an internet library of just about everything that is digital and open in the public domain and is aimed at scholars, historians and the general public, so don't be scared to go and play with it.


The website has many theatrical trailers, but I recently discovered that it also has free and legal films that you can watch/download! It is true that these are not films produced in the last two years, but they are timeless classics and, if you have the download space, you should definitely take a look at them (I already have a film chosen for when I get a chance).


Have a great day,
Memma xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment