Sunday 31 August 2014

Vintage Wardrobe Essentials One

I've been thinking about wardrobes lately. More specifically about wardrobe essentials.

So for the next I don't know how long, we will be answering the question;
 
What does every (vintage inspired) girl need in her wardrobe?
 
Please don't hesitate to respond in the comments after each post. I'd love to know what your wardrobe essentials are. 
DISCLAIMER-
I may be a bit over the top here (I like my clothes and think that you can never have too many). If you are just getting started, add these in gradually. There is no need to go broke. Try Op Shops and other cheap shops, or consider buying some fabric on special and having a go at sewing your own creations. :) Also, please remember that my numbers are only a guide. By all means, change the numbers to suit your needs. If you only need 1 patterned skirt then don't bother getting 3. Get only the amount that you want/ need/ can afford, and have fun playing with the clothes which you already have as well :)
 
This list is a reflection of what my wardrobe would look like in my ideal world and should be used as a guide, not a definitive list of 'essentials'. Enjoy!
 
I did some wardrobe essential googling and found lists which included white tops and jeans etc. My list is a little different. Jeans are great as a quick solution to going down to the shops, but when my current pair fall apart I don't think I will replace them. I much prefer skirts and dresses.
 
So, what is on my list???


1. SKIRTS
Skirts are a great way to add an instantly vintage look to any wardrobe. Floral patterns and vintage styles are making a come-back, but you may also want to consult the Op Shops. Alternatively, if you are skilled with a needle, you can sew your own skirts. There are plenty of videos on Youtube which are very helpful when it comes to the basics of skirt sewing. I will share some in another post (hopefully) soon.
 

  • 1 Plain White Skirt
  • 1 Plain Dark (Navy or Black) Skirt
  • 1 Fitted Black Skirt- whilst this is optional, it can give a completely different look to your wardrobe, and is great for evening wear. I often forget that vintage styles also included some more tightly fitted skirts, think pencil skirts and the like.
  • 2 Pretty Skirt Overlays- think lace or shimmer. This will instantly transform a simple white or navy day skirt into an evening skirt :)
  • 3 Pattern Skirts
  • 2-3 Maxi Skirts- perfect for when the weather gets a bit colder. You can also gather it nicely in the waist to still achieve a full skirt look.

I tend to go for the full circle skirt look, but choose whatever skirt style you like and which suits your body shape/ style. 
 
Gracious, It is difficult to find a photo of vintage skirts! They are mostly dresses...
Oh well, why not have a quick (as if) google for yourself. :)


Thanks for reading and don't forget to follow along if you want to see the whole series,

Memma xxx
 


No comments:

Post a Comment