Monday 18 November 2013

Mrs Miniver... A Truly Endearing Afternoon

'I am finally on holidays', a statement which would normally lead into a fantastic and pitiful segue where I presently apologise for my many months of absence. So yes, here I go: I am sorry for not posting for a while. But I do intend to post more regularly now. :)

Anyway, with all the formalities behind us, I have some very exciting news; I have, today, completed reading Mrs Miniver! Mrs Miniver was written by Jan Struther, and while the book was first published in 1939, the short articles which make it up, were published between 1937 and 1939 in the Court pages of The Times. This particular edition, which I have now read, was published in 1943 and includes an additional article, which was published in The Queen's Book of the Red Cross.

The stories follow Mrs Miniver, an ideal British housewife and mother in the years leading up to, and beginning, World War Two, along with her husband, Clem, sons, Vin and Toby, and daughter, Judy. As one reads Mrs Miniver's thoughts on life and society, they are seamlessly introduced to her neighbours, friends and family in a manner which is both endearing and well written. Filled with many anecdotes and metaphors which were/ are applicable both in the interwar years, and today. Mrs Miniver's wit and charm is an absolute delight!

There are also some lovely insights into marriage, parenting, children, family, and life in general. 


Each story is filled with wonderful quotes which I only wish I could remember and share with you, and with those whom I am regularly acquainted... I cannot, unfortunately, recall all of the remarkable witticisms of this equally remarkable lady however. 

If you do not have access to a print copy of the book, you can find it here in digital form;

Mrs Miniver is not only a book, though. In 1942, it was turned into a film. It is through this film that I first met Mrs Miniver and her family. I, at first, expected the book to be similar to the film, but although a few minor plot details have been adapted from the book for the film, the two are almost entirely different.


The film takes place during World War Two, and promises to leave you feeling a complicated mixture of feelings, from endeared to saddened. I, myself, am unable to watch it without crying.

The cast are amazing also. Starring Greer Garson and Walter Pigeon (who have been paired in other films as well), the film is a truly moving and well done adaptation of Jan Struther's wonderful stories.

I'm not going to even attempt to thrill you with my criticisms of the book and film; I think they are both fantastic and encourage everyone to read/ watch them. If you require a detailed plot outline, a quick Google search should suffice. :)

For some lovely screen captures of the Miniver family and their beautiful house, let me direct you to

Mrs. Miniver's house-exterior
The Miniver family's lovely home
 
This film is so great, I could talk about it all day, but I suspect that my post is already too long. So why not read the book or watch the film? It is very much worth it!

Have a lovely afternoon,
Memma xx

No comments:

Post a Comment