Tuesday 16 April 2013

Producing Playful Patterns

Last week I promised to provide you with information on how to make your own cross stitching patterns, so I suppose you can deduct what this weeks post is about. :)

First off I would like to acknowledge the fact that I used the free resources provided by other websites in order to create my patterns and I will provide those links for you to use also.

So, in order to make my pattern I needed graph paper. When you cross stitch you start in the center of the pattern and work your way out. The graph paper therefore needs to be marked in the center of the grid. 

The following website provides much information on cross stitching in general as well as (you guessed it) graph paper.
I used the graph for the 14-count graph paper but the size you use will depend entirely on the Aida cloth you will be using.

Note also that this website has some cool designs and alphabet patterns for free so check it out if you want to feel inspired. 


You've already seen the patterns I've uploaded and have (hopefully) noticed that they contain writing. Contrary to popular belief, I am not that talented and needed help forming my letters. 

The following  website provides a pattern for various fonts for both cross stitching and embroidery. Anyway whilst the variety is scarce, the tool is convenient as it allows you to type in the letters you require and see how it will look.

I believe that those are the two keys you need to make your own cross stitching pattern. 
To form the shapes of your images on the grid I suggest using separate layers in Photoshop (or whatever image editing program you use). Place the image on one layer and the grid on another. Then, using the paint bucket tool, fill in the squares you want to stitch in. Remember to use different colours for the different threads. Once finished remove the layer with the image and you're finished! :D


I do hope that made sense, if not just leave a comment and I'll try to clarify.

Anyway now that you know how to develop a pattern, why not have a go? I would love to see any patterns you make, just comment a link and I'll take a look. 

Enjoy and have a beautiful day,
Memma xx

No comments:

Post a Comment